I read this and just had to share with everyone today! – Happy Halloween!!
BAD EXAMPLES OF MANAGERS AND LEADERS TO HORRIFY YOU: by Lauren Parkhill
That is a common funny thing we say when something goes awry or doesn’t hit the mark. But a leadership fail? That’s just spooky. In our work, we spend our time helping organizations train and develop exemplary leaders and managers and we’ve seen our fair share of fails.
In honor of all hallows-eve, we’re rattling the chains on the leadership and manager cautionary tales that you don’t want to see
trick or treating around the office.
- The Ghost: Does your manager give you a project and never check back in? Disappear when you need support or clarification? Yep, you just got ghosted.
- The Mummy: This micromanaging leader just might be out to get you – they just won’t leave you alone, no matter how great of a job you think you’ve done.
- The Vampire: Lets face it. This is the leader who sucks the life and passion right out of you.
- The Zombie: This manager or supervisor is constantly taking your ideas and passing them off for their own.
- The Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: This leader says one thing and does another, leaving you confused and feeling like you’re always one step behind on what’s going on.
- The Werewolf: This mercurial leader sends you emails at midnight and during the full moon, leaving you to wonder if you should be responding.
- The Mad Scientist: Just when you think you’re going to leave work on time (for once) on Friday, this manager swoops in with an idea and last-minute deadline.
- The Jack O’Lantern: This manager does nothing. Sometimes you even wonder what they DO all day.
- The Witch (or Warlock): You get it – this manager is mean.
- The Candy Corn: This manager is sweet. Too sweet! They will probably give you cavities (or maybe undermine you around the office.)
Thanks to Lauren Parkhill of Flashpoint Leadership Consulting for this great post!